The name HorseShoe Bend,
is derived from the actual shape of the lake, dates back to 1794. Bailiff
Ferry - often referred to as "Old Bailiff Ferry" - 4 miles below Great
HorseShoe Bend, where
Webb School Camp was located in the 1920's. The camp started as a "summer
school" at or near the site of Hi-Lake Camp. The camp was organized and
run by Profs. W.R. Webb and G.W. Follin of the famous Webb School located
at Bell Buckle, TN.
Over the first ten years
the camp gradually changed from a summer school to a recreational camp.
At the end of that period the camp was moved (between 1918 & 1920)
to the well known site of Old Bailiff Ferry. The camp was closed in 1939.
^Highway 70-S Bypass^